Monday, May 20, 2013

Paradise away from paradise : An Osho experience


Ever since coming to America from Nepal two years ago, I have missed my paradise. My paradise where birds sang Osho songs, where trees sat in za-zen and where the rolling mountains around vibrated with pristine energy. My Tapoban, my moments spent there, silences, wild ecstatic free space within and frequent random visits by beloved Osho during meditations, during Samadhi sittings – memories of my blissful days back in Tapoban would overwhelm me from time to time here in America. And to remind me of what I lost, once a year Swami Arun would come to America with lots of Osho energy and love to share and to tease me with the taste of the paradise. His brief visits would ignite in me a desire to create a Tapoban in America, and this hope to have a living, vibrating Osho ashram in America has been floating in my heart for long now.

Once one has tasted the bliss of living in a Buddha-field, one is constantly craving for the experience. I was lucky this spring to have such experience again here in the U.S. It was spring again, outside and inside. Flowers were blooming, hills were smiling with lush green trees, and birds were singing their welcoming song as we drove towards Ithaca, NY for a 3-day Osho meditation camp.

The first evening over 30 people gathered in this beautiful meditation hall on premises of the Foundation of Light – a vibrant ashram maintained by Melissa who was welcoming everyone with a deep loving embrace. We started with introduction of Osho and his revolutionary meditation techniques and ended the evening with a prayer. There was a new medicine Buddha prayer, “Teyate Om Bekanze, Bekanze, maha Bekanze… “ sung by Ma Pratiti and repeated in acapella, and I found myself humming  it everywhere  for the entire time . That night the sky was clear and I could see stars that are rare around the city because they are masked by city lights. There was silence and beauty in this place Ithaca, and the excitement of anticipating Osho meditations the next morning overwhelmed me as I went to bed.

The next two days were wild, reminded me of Tapoban where time flew in dancing, rejoicing, singing together which brought a dynamic silence within. There were times when every participant melted into a single vibrant group energy playing together in joy and bliss. I met with sannyasins from the time of Osho: swami Akul who used to open the car's door for Osho as he arrived for morning discourses; Swami Shanti Lou and his beautiful wife who lived and took care of Osho in Kips castle in New Jersey; Ma Usha who was around Osho through all the years in Poona I, Rajneeshpuram and Poona II; and finally Ma Pratiti who brought back the fragrance of those beautiful Poona I days with Osho into the buddha-hall in Ithaca. These are experiences which cannot be explained in words. They can be lived, they can be sung and they can be dreamt. There were friends from Quebec, Canada, Ohio, Montreal, Boston, Washinton D.C., NJ, NY, Connecticut and many from Ithaca itself. Many of us had never met before but eventually bonded as closest friends in just two days: maybe Osho magic floating all around was pulling us together. On Sunday, the last day of the camp, when we all had to part, nobody wanted to leave! We were standing in a circle outside praying that we get to meet again and relive the magic.

The lives each of us had lived back home were in sharp contrast with the bliss we just experienced.  I then felt like everyone’s heart was feeling what I felt, a deep desire to live in a Buddha-field, to walk without legs, to fly without wings, to live in Master’s presence and dance with him every day.

It started as an idea to get together and share joy with Ma Pratiti and few sannyasins who had lived in Osho's presence started as an idea , and ended up with 3 beautiful days of bliss, sharing and bonding with many open-hearted , lovely people. I was happy to sync with my people finally,  I felt hope, I see it happening some day soon.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Swami Saurav for that inspiring, joyful and accurate account of the Osho meditation weekend. As a new initiate to meditation and to Osho, I was a bit apprehensive about attending…but my music teacher Pratiti, who was also music director par excellence at the event, assured me that nothing but an open mind and attitude were needed to benefit from the weekend. She was so right. Through what seemed as effortless as osmosis, the deep joy, peace and presence of all who attended entered my own field of awareness so that I too felt the power and the love of the Osho message. I left with the ultimate paradox of feeling full of nothing! And my ride home was one of the most peaceful and enjoyable times I can remember having. I definitely remember the weekend with the same glowing terms you so eloquently described and can’t wait until the next event. Lorraine Provost

Unknown said...

Osho ! Osho !! Osho !!!

Deva Satyanam said...

Beloved Osho friends, Ma and Swami

my heart is so grateful and full of gratitude since this wonderful weekend in Ithaca.
The organization team did a very good job and I just feel like joining you people as soon as possible to be in this meditative and buddhafield space again and again and again.
Even this buddhafield is following in my area of life with all the songs keeping heart singing
as a silent vibration that we still connect even at distance.
This weekend was a divine one and very inspirit. It gave me wings to keep on going
and going for each moment of life. Coming back at work this tuesday even people that
I take care of in the housing project, were looking as if something mysterious had happen
in my life.
I really appreciate all the hugs and laughing and the presence of everyone
and the heart simplicity of being with sannyassins. Ma Pratiti, Swami Saurav and Vava,
the energetic Ma Nirapa, those two sannyasins - Samir and Chanda from NĂ©pal
and all the others that I don't remember or even know the name.
I love you all and wish to meet you soon and that we share moments with Osho.
- Deva Satyanam from Quebec, Canada

P. Srikantia said...

I had a truly amazing weekend full of friendship, insights and tranquility. Ma Pratiti's music reawakened my heart in a very deep and profound way and reminded me of the ecology of our cosmic relatedness. The meditation led by Swami Saurav rekindled a deeper inner serenity and Ma Nirupa's laughter meditation enlivened and reignited a deep sense of inner celebration. I began to appreciate also that human beings live in an ecology that they create and although some may take the lead, the experience that we generate for ourselves is richly shaped by how everyone participates, not just the people leading. I was reminded of Osho's perspective that the disciple and the master create and shape the experience and the journey and there is a deep inner reciprocity and interrelatedness between us all that every one of us who were present at the weekend helped make it the special experience that it was. So thanks to everyone of you for nurturing me!
- Prof. Param Srikantia

Louis Mercurio said...

Swami Saurav your words are truly moving, Ma Nancy and I felt the wonderful energy of the Buddha Field also. Weekends like this create a feeling of hope and warmth reminding me of the energy that Osho and his people embody. My thanks to you, Samir, Nirupa and all of the Sadhana group for leading us in meditation and facilitating us into "no mind" bliss. I especially want to thank Pratiti for her music, inspiration, and drive in making the weekend possible and for Pratah's support in helping the weekend go smoothly. As you mentioned in your blog post I too long for the days of being with fellow Osho travelers and basking in that energy. I hope and trust that we can continue on here in beautiful Ithaca to create a Buddha-field for all to experience.

And just a correction, Ma Nancy and I were in Osho's presence at Kip's Castle in New Jersey but we were caretakers for the Castle not Osho. He had more then enough people helping him personally. We and many other New Jersey Sannyasins offered help with local affairs as Osho prepared to go on to Rajneeshpuram in Oregon.
- Swami Shanti Lou

Malabika Shaw said...

Thank you Swami Saurav, Ma Pratiti, Melissa and all the other wonderful people working behind the scenes to create this lovely weekend in paradise. I echo Swami Saurav's sentiments. The sylvan surroundings of Ithaca nestled in the Catskills - a perfect setting for such a weekend.
Osho to me had always been about connecting deeply with one's own deeper self with joy and freedom. I have long loved his teachings, his techniques, his humor and his presence. That presence I felt strongly this weekend. It was so wonderful to be in the company of so many of you who have met and studied with Osho in person. Thank you all for coming and sharing your loving energy. I have carried it all back and continue to bask in the playfulness.
Funny thing -- I catch myself smiling from the inside, every now and again, for no reason at all. What a great mind and heart space to be in.
- Malabika Shaw

Foundation Of Light said...

What an amazing blessed experience we had and continue to have. Truly a treasure. Being Director of a spiritual center I get to play often within the realm of meditation and the weekend that I was just privileged to be a part of was ground breaking. The teachings and presence of Osho are beyond DYNAMIC....I look so forward to coming together again, although it feels still alive to me as I hum our song . Tayata Om Bekandze..........I Love You!!!!!Melissa

Unknown said...

Thank you Melissa , heartfelt gratitude to you from all of us for providing us the buddha-fiels space and love and care during our meditation weekend.

Anonymous said...

I once asked Osho in darshan, "Osho,I know I'm on the path of meditation, but what about love?" And he replied, "Akul, don't be worried. Those who are on the path of meditation ultimately attain love via meditation. And those who are on the path of love reach meditation via love and prayer."
I was reminded of that during the recent Osho weekend in Ithaca: the "Light of the Heart" really did shine through in your presentations, Saurav; in Pratiti's version of the song with that title, and in many other ways.
And I look forward to many more Osho events in which the light of the heart shines through.
Namaste,
Akul

Unknown said...

Thank you Sw. Akul , you were living Osho, breathing Osho, for sannyasin like me who couldnt see Osho in his body, meeting you is a blessing !!

Anonymous said...


Ma Nirupa : Beloved Friends, I am immensely touched by all of your loving notes. Keep reading again and again. The experience which we all had during recent retreat, I don’t know how I put it in words. I felt Osho’s presence strongly so many times during the retreat especially in Evening Satsang White Rob Brotherhood Meeting , on Saturday Evening with Ma Pratiti’s Music. When Ma Pratiti was singing, it directly touched my heart and tears were not stopping from my eyes all the time as it was all about deep gratitude to our Master. Each song sung by Pratiti took me into so deep meditative and No Mind state. That time for few hours mind was totally frozen and all energy took over to heart. This experience reminded me all about Pune’s Evening Satsang when live music was there also It reminded me Osho’s words “ Wherever my Sanyasins will meet , they will feel my presence”. His grace is infinite! and that’s what truly experienced each moment during the retreat. Each moment was so unique full of joy, bliss, celebration and love. I especially thank you for Buddha prayer, “Teyate Om Bekanze, Bekanze, maha Bekanze… “ sung by Ma Pratiti , which profoundly touched my heart and vibrated my entire body with so much grace.

Friends no comments for “Laughter meditation”. All of you participated so well and Co-operated so totally and all of you were totally into it. It was such a wonderful deep laugh.My whole body was vibrating full of laugh with all of your energy. I facilitated and did this meditation so many times but with all of you(Laughing Buddhas) it was totally blessed experienced which never did before. So many of you did first time but never felt at all you were doing first time. Also it was such a pleasure to dance with all of you. That Buddha field energy was so amazing when all of you were dancing and laughing. Thank you all for coming and sharing your loving energy. After Laughter meditation when I hug some of you felt so deep connection like we all are one with universe.

The most important difference I see in myself after coming back , becoming more and more aware, grounded and centered naturally. Don’t have to remind myself to be aware. It is happening spontaneously. The Key message from our Master is “Awareness”. Watching.

Friends Satsang has so much importance in this journey so let’s don’t miss the opportunity to meet again and again whenever we get a chance. Can’t wait to see, celebrate, dance, laugh and hug with all of you again…Until we meet again keep continue celebration and laughter.


Lots of love and a big hug to all of you with gratitude & his blessings.
Osho !!!!!!
Ma Nirupa from new york.

Usha said...

Beloveds, I am truely grateful for this gathering... the love, dance, song, hugs, laughter and Osho. Such a beautiful setting... I just close my eyes, jump into the holy fire and ah this! Love to all of you and hope we meet again. Usha